- Pie must be entered in the name of the person who made it.
(Max. age = 17)
- Grand Prize = $100 and a ribbon
- Each category
- 1st = $25 and a ribbon
- 2nd = ribbon
- 3rd = ribbon
- Enter Pie
- Bring your pie to the contest site (The Fire House) between 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. on the day of the Pie Festival. The Health Department says: NO PIES THAT REQUIRE REFRIGERATION (i.e. dairy, cream,
chili peppers or meat pies). The person running the Pie-Baking Contest will have the final say on acceptability of pies.
- Fill out the registration form.
- Acknowledge that the entered pies become the property of the Pie Festival and that you do not get your pie or pie pan back.
- If you are a winner, you give your permission to have your photo taken during the announcement ceremony and have it used for Pie Festival promotional materials, including this Web site.
- A copy of your pie recipe would be appreciated; it may be used in future PTCC cookbooks.
- All contest entrants will receive a "PIE BAKER" ribbon.
- Judging will start at about 11:00 a.m.
- Minimum of three judges per category
- Overall appearance
- Each judge assigns a numerical value (1-10) in each criteria category, without consultation with the other judges.
- The pie receiving the highest total numerical value is the winner in that category.
- In the case of a tie, the judges will judge those pies again.
- Grand Prize winner
- Each 1st Prize winning pie will be judged again.
- Judges will decide which pie is the Grand Prize Pie.
- In the category of the Grand Prize winning pie (Fruit, Nut, Other, or Youth), the 2nd Place pie will become the 1st, the 3rd Place becomes 2nd, and the 4th becomes 3rd.
- Winners will be announced after the judging is complete.
- Disposition of Pies
- The Grand Prize Winning Pie, at least, may be auctioned off at the evening dance.
- All other pies will be sold at the contest site or in the concession stand.
- All proceeds from the sale of pies will be used by the Pie Town Community Council to fund its many activities and services.
2012 Pie-Baking Contest Results
Grand Champion: Sweet Potato Crunch
by Robin Soliz, Turtle, Ian Fritz Of Tucson, AZ
Adult Fruit Pie Category:
1st place: Caramel Apple by Marcia Mermelstein of St
2nd place: Pineapple Crumble by Loretta Lewis of Ramah,
3rd Place: Tangerine Surprise: Betty Decker
Adult Nut Category
1st place: Chocolate Pecan by Janet Anderson
2nd Place: Peanut Peanut Butter by Ron Bronitsky
3rd Place: Pecan by Patty Hanna of Pie Town
Adult Other Pie Category:
1st place: Cappucino Pie: Robin Soliz and Turtle of
2nd place: Chocolate Chess Pie: Ron Bronitsky
3rd place: Mahala Pie: Jason K Anders
Youth Pie Category
1st place: Apple Pie by Lance Wimberly of Quemado, NM
2nd place: Peach Berry by Christina Copelan of Mojave
3rd place: Peach Berry by Briana Copelan of Mojave
2010 Pie-Baking Contest Results
Karen Zibert, Albuquerque, NM — Karen's Tomato Pie
Larry Lucier, Jamestown, NM — Deep Dish Apple
Harry Hupman, Socorro, NM — Pineapple Castle
Ray Lucier, Jamestown, NM — All-American (Layered Deep-Dish)
Loretta Lewis, Ramah, NM — Pecan
Michele Wegner, Pie Town, NM — New Mexican Apple
Bob McClellan, Pie Town, NM — C.P.R. (Classic Pecan Recipe)
Turtle and Ian Fritz, Tucson, AZ — Chocolate Brazil
Karen Bingham, Pie Town, NM — Caramel Turnovers
Barbara Duck, Albuquerque, NM — Triple Chocolate Decadence
Sabrina Bhakta, Pie Town, NM — Sab's Choice Cookie Pie
Alexandra Fogler, Tucson, AZ — Pecan Pie
Stephanie Duck, Albuquerque, NM — Pear Caramel Crumble
Total Entries: 70 (32 Fruit, 12 Nut, 14 Other, 12 Youth)